Last Updated on May 7, 2022 by Marco
Finding the right canine life jacket can be time-consuming so, here’s our list of 6 miniature dachshund life jacket and swim vest options for your Doxie. We’ll focus on miniature dachshunds here but most of the items we’ll list below come in larger sizes too so they can work for standard dachshunds or even other breeds as well. We’ll also cover exactly why you’d need a life jacket for your miniature dachshund and why swimming is such a great exercise and fun playtime for these dogs.
6 Great Miniature Dachshund Life Jacket Options
Finding the best life jacket for dachshund pups can take some time as there are seemingly countless different brands and models out there. Yet, having a good miniature dachshund life jacket is crucial as these dogs love to swim, benefit greatly from swimming, and yet can get fatigued very quickly while swimming.
So, having a miniature dachshund life jacket is important but it’s also important to make sure that you’ve got a good jacket. After all, and at the risk of sounding overly dramatic, this is quite literally a matter of life and death. A good miniature dachshund life jacket should tick the following boxes:
- It should fit your mini Doxie well – it should neither be too tight in places nor too loose for obvious reasons
- The life jacket must be easily adjustable in terms of size to further ensure that it’s a good fit
- It should also be easy to put on and off – not just for convenience’s sake but also in case of an accident
- Naturally, the jacket should function flawlessly to keep your dog afloat
- Durability is also key as you don’t want your dog’s vest to suddenly turn out to be faulty when you need it most. Dachshunds live for quite a long time too so you’d want to get something that can last for years
- Comfort is also obviously key as swimming is supposed to be a fun exercise for your pooch
The rest is pretty much a matter of personal preferences but suffice it to say that a miniature dachshund life jacket can come with numerous extra features such as pockets, leash clasps, and more.
So, what are our 6 suggestions for a great miniature dachshund life jacket? Here’s our list:
- Snik-S Dog Life Jacket- Preserver with Adjustable Belt – The Snik-S life jacket has a simple design, it’s long enough for a Doxie, and it comes in various sizes and colors.
- Outward Hound Dog Life Jacket – Offers great neck and chest support, and is impressively sturdy and durable. The large safety handle also makes your life much easier.
- A-More Dog Saver Life Jacket – Comfortable and cool the A-More jacket offers lots of leg freedom and has a very flexible and easily adjustable design.
- Queenmore Ripstop Dog Life Jacket – Simple and cute, the Queenmore life jacket is very affordable while still covering all the basics you’d want from a good miniature dachshund life jacket.
- Paws Aboard Pet Life Jacket – For some extra style, the Paws Aboard life jacket looks great but also has a durable and comfortable nylon design with easy to attach and safe buckles.
- ChezAbbey Dog Life Jacket – Another quite affordable option, the ChezAbbey jacket is available in dozens of colors and different designs, as well as numerous sizes. Its design is durable and safe, and quite easy to work with too.
Why Should You Get A Dachshund Swim Vest Or Life Jacket?
Almost dog all breeds can swim with the one famous exception being English Bulldogs because their front-heavy frame prevents them from being able to hold their heads above water. Dachshunds don’t have this problem – in fact, their front digging paws are excellent for paddling in the water. Plus, Doxies benefit greatly from swimming as it’s an excellent type of exercise that doesn’t stress their backs.
There is one big note all dachshund owners must remember, however – this is a small and short-legged breed so their swimming endurance is not nearly as great as that of many popular larger breeds such as Labrador Retrievers, various shepherd breeds, and so on.
This makes swim vests and life jackets not just recommended but an absolute must. Whether you’re in a swimming pool, a lake, at sea, or in your bathtub, you never know when your Doxie is going to get fatigued and start having trouble holding himself above water. And, if you’re not around when that happens, the end result can be disastrous. So, it’s always the right move to get your miniature dachshund life jacket or a swim vest.
Read more about: Do Dachshunds Like To Swim and Are They Good At It?
Do small dogs need life jackets?
If they like swimming – absolutely. Big or small, a dog should always have protection, whether that’s your close supervision or a trusty life jacket. In fact, small dogs tend to have less endurance than larger canines which very often leads to accidents.
People intuitively think that their dog should be able to swim for quite a while when, in reality, most small dog breeds can start getting exhausted after 15 or 20 minutes. This can be a major problem if you’re not around as an exhausted dog can drop underwater suddenly if it isn’t wearing a life jacket.
Is it OK for Dachshunds to swim?
Indeed it is. In fact, it’s strongly recommended. People don’t often associate dachshunds with swimming as these dogs are badger-hunting hounds, bred to work in the forests of Central Europe. Yet, that doesn’t mean that they can’t or shouldn’t swim. What’s more, dachshunds have quite large paddled paws that they use to dig for their prey but that could also be very useful for swimming.
And, while dachshunds don’t have the greatest endurance out there and can benefit from a life jacket, their risk fo back problems makes swimming a very good exercise for them. So, if you have an adult or senior dachshund and IVDD is a concern, swimming is a great way to give your dog physical exercise without risking back problems.